2020 Lyme Fly-in
On February 11-12, 2020 more than 60 members of the Lyme community traveled to Washington, DC with the aim of growing federal funding for Lyme disease. Attendees held nearly 100 meetings with members of Congress requesting more funds to grow federal Lyme disease programs.
During the event, the Center for Lyme Action awarded Lyme Champion Awards for members of Congress who have sponsored and supported legislative efforts for Lyme disease. Recipients included Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), Sen. Tina Smith (D-MN), Rep. Collin Peterson (D-MN), Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-CA), and Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ).
Lyme Innovation awards, presented and sponsored by Bay Area Lyme Foundation, were given to the dedicated public servants and private citizens who have worked to advance collaboration and innovation in Lyme disease — especially through the HHS Lyme Innovation Initiative. The winners were:
- The Honorable Eric D. Hargan, Deputy Secretary, HHS
- Daniel Scavino Jr., Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor for Digital Strategy
- Michael Kratsios, Chief Technology Officer of the United States and Deputy Assistant to the President
- Mathew L. Lira, Assistant to the President for Innovation Policies and Initiatives
- Edwin J. Simcox, Chief Technology Officer, HHS
- Dr. Kristen T. Honey, Innovator in Residence and Lyme Innovation Founder
- Alexandra Cohen, President and Co-founder of the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Foundation
U.S. Ret. Col. Nicole Malachowski, the keynote speaker, spoke eloquently about how as the first female Thunderbird pilot, she was medically retired for a tick-borne illness.
Center for Lyme Action Fly-in
February 11-12, 2020
Capitol Visitor Center, Washington, DC
2020 Center for Lyme Action Fly-In
Col. Nicole Malachowski (USAF Ret.) inspires all with her Lyme story
Senator Susan Collins receives Lyme Champion Award.
Bonnie Crater with Lyme Champions Rep. Anna Eshoo and Rep. Chris Smith
Rep. Collin Peterson Co-Chair Lyme Caucus and Lyme Champion
Senator Tina Smith, co-sponsor of the Kay Hagan Tick Act.
Bay Area Lyme's Laure Woods & Lia Gaertner Present Lyme Innovation Awards
We enjoy the speakers!
LivLyme Founder, Olivia Goodreau meets HHS Dep. Sec. Hargan & CTO Ed Simcox
Fly-In attendees get ready to talk to members of Congress
611 Pennsylvania Ave, SE
Washington, DC 20003